Monday, June 26, 2017

Mackinac Island!

Just a few short days after we arrived home (on Friday), Mom and Dad arrived (Monday evening) !  We introduced them to one of our newer games Monday evening, Sagrada, about creating your own stain glass window using dice in a puzzley sort of way.  They liked it!  So much so we played it again the next day and mom put it on her wishlist :)  I call that a win.  We also played The Hare and the Tortoise and went to Costco on Tuesday.  All necessary things, haha.  We also introduced them to ice cream made with liquid nitrogen at Fire and Ice, and went out for a delicious meal at Tosi's before the guys got in late Tuesday evening.


Wednesday the trip really began!  We managed to get everyone out of the house and on the road nearly by 10am, for a 5 hour drive north to Mackinac (pronounced Mackinaw) Island!  It's a quaint little island where there are no motorized vehicles (except for emergencies), just horses and buggies and bicycles!  We stayed at the awesome Mission Point Resort, largely due to the fact that it was the only dog friendly place on the island and we had all 3 pups with us!  Gromit was super excited to be there, since we'd gone there for our 5th anniversary and he'd exhausted himself barking and lunging at all the horses, haha.  

We got settled in Wednesday evening and had dinner there at the resort, which was... not great, haha.  Luckily the rest of the meals improved after that.  There was a stroll in the evening, as well as some games, where Mom beat us all.  We really need to stop playing bluffing games with her...haha.  She beat us in Spyfall and in Coup and then we played an interesting one they'd brought called Speak Out, complete with mouthguard :o  We all looked ridiculous, but luckily everyone was kind and no pictures were taken!



Gromit and I started Thursday off with a short run up to Arch Rock and back, and then we were off to the butterflies!  We saw lots of cool baby butterflies starting to hatch, and could only stay in the enclosure for so long with all the oppressive humidity.  I got to hold a bearded dragon named Falcor, so that was cool!  He liked beard rubs :)


We then caught our carriage ride and got a tour around the island with lovely guides and learned about the town and went back through the woods to Arch Rock and ended up at Fort Mackinac, where we got to learn about the history of the place.  At this point it started raining, so some of us high tailed it back to the resort to wait it out till dinner.  With the dogs dropped off, we had a chance to explore more the shops in town, and inhale all the delicious fudge smells floating around the island.  Thursday evening included a couple more games, including Between Two Cities and the ever popular King of Tokyo!  I always die so quickly in that game.






























Gromit and I went out for another run Friday morning, which turned out to be a bit of a mistake.  As I was coming down a hill and around a corner, I slipped on some mud and went down on the pavement.   It didn't hurt too bad, but I landed weird on my shoulder since I was desperately trying to keep hold of Gromit's leash since a horse was coming, so I got some nice road rash :/


The rest of the day was lovely!  Beautiful weather, biking around the island, and more shops!  Jon and I thought about doing a tandem bike, but we tried it out and it was quite wobbly, and we wanted Gromit to come.  We figured with him pulling towards horses and the wobbliness of the bike it wasn't a great combination, so we did separate bikes.  We also weren't sure how he'd do keeping up with us on bikes for that far, so yes, we also hooked up a kid carrier to the back of Jon's bike, just in case he got tired.  He did so well!  He got a bit tired a few miles in, and we were going slower than we'd like because of him, so we tried him in the carrier.  I think he thought it was weird, but he looked adorable and soon settled down.  I think he appreciated the break, and after a mile or so he started poking his nose out, then his hold head, so I think he was trying to tell us he was ready to run again, haha.  He ran the rest of the way so well!  (the island is 8 miles around).  We did some more shopping, got some pasties for dinner (yum), and then got back in the evening.  Mom and Dad left in the morning and Kenneth and Andy and Jon and I went to Warren Dunes for a bit before they left from there to head to Chicago for a few days.  All in all a great few days with family!






No comments:

Post a Comment