Tuesday, September 5, 2017

GenCon50!

GenCon50!  We were super excited to be going to GenCon for the 3rd time for some of us!  We also took some people for the second time and some for their first time, so it was an interesting mix and fun to see everyone's reactions based on their various experiences with GenCon.

We got a bit later start than we'd planned.  We left at 7:30am to get to Indianapolis by 10:30, but but half an hour into the trip Jon said I could turn off the GPS, that he knew where to go from there.  He'd looked at the map the night before and saw that once you got on highway 31 you pretty much stay on it the whole time till you get to Indy.  Well, about 30 minutes later we started seeing horses and buggies and realized we were in Mennonite country, which was not a good sign.  We tuned the GPS back on, and realized we'd been going 30 minutes east instead of south, so we were now an hour out of the way :/  Highways around here are dumb, you often have to turn to keep on a highway, which is crazy.  Anyway, we finally got there, luckily still in time for our first event, an escape room in a box!  Jon, Katelyn, Abigail and I did pretty well with it and had a great time.  We skipped our next event to get some Exhibit Hall time in that we missed before our first event, and got some good demoing in.  Some of our favorites included Magic Maze (although probably not one we'd get) and Valletta.  We then had a demo event, First Martians, a mechanical successor to Robinson Crusoe.  We didn't have a great instructor teaching, so it's hard to tell how much we really like it unfortunately.


After that we had a bit more exhibit hall time before I had a demo event with Jeanmark (Fanhunter.  Theme was cool but mechanics were meh) and Jon did some roleplaying with Abigail, Katelyn, and Richard.  After our event, Jeanmark and I squeezed a bit more exhibit hall time in (tried out The Lost Expedition) before heading out to the food trucks to get our spouses/siblings who were roleplaying some dinner.  I was excited to find an awesome vegetarian food truck that was cheap and didn't have a long line!  After their role-playing event, we had some time to kill before some others had another event, so we headed to the event hall and whipped out a game of Resistance: Avalon, the only time all of us got to play a game together.
















Jeanmark, Jon, and I headed to our hotel while Katelyn, Abigail, Suzie, and Chris did their last event for the night.  The next morning we started out all together in a panel on Mental Health and Gaming.  It was a nice idea for a panel but left something to be desired.  From there, Jon and I finished our time in the exhibit hall, he checked out the GenCon museum in Lucas Oil Stadium, and we and Katelyn got to meet up with their family friend Darrell.

Later, we went to our next event, the Dice Tower Live Show, which was fun.  Afterwards, we had a demo event for a coop game called Summit, about climbing a snowy mountain.  It was fun, but not one we need to add to our collection I think.  Finally, we ended the day and the Con with our last event, Giant King of Tokyo!  An appropriate way to end I think :)  The exciting thing was that I never win King of Tokyo, but I won this one!  And we got a couple of promo cards for playing and I got a new 'monster' for winning, a unicorn!  So that was exciting.  We all met up for dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant and discussed our highlights of the con since we'd been split up for much of it.  Others had done artsy things (Felting, moldmaking, etc.), or other panels (Gaming Saves the World, a Retrospective on the first GenCon, Gaming as Ritual and Modern Mythmaking) and more.  Jon and I headed back to Berrien after dinner, the rest stayed at their Air B&B, hung out by the lake on Saturday, some came back Saturday night and some did more conning Sunday and came back that night.  Overall it was a great GenCon, as usual, and we're not sure if we'll be back next year (might have moved by then), but if not we've had three great GenCons with some awesome friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment