Sunday, September 22, 2013

Camp and Family time- Awesome August Part 1!


Canoeing!
















We went to camp! Not really as campers, but kind of.  We really went to Sunset Lake because they were having pastor's meetings.  Families got to tag along, and in the afternoon everyone got to do activities.  Yea! Jon's first time as a camper! :)  The first afternoon, we went canoeing on the Green River with a few other pastors.  I was kinda nervous about this, because I'd heard all these horror stories from Jon and his parents about people who'd floated the Green River and nearly drowned.  Given the stories and my limited canoeing experience, I was a bit trepidatious.    However, aside from one flip-over near the beginning of the afternoon, we survived fairly well!  When we did flip, our dry bag, water bottle, and Jon's shoes started floating down the river ahead of us.  Luckily, our resident life guards came in handy and all were safe and sound.   Jon was a good steerer, and we made it safely to our end point.   The next afternoon, we chose the giant swing and the zip line as our activities.  I was a bit unprepared for how easy it was to release yourself on the giant swing, so I let out a good scream on that one, but it was pretty fun!


 
Later in the month, mom and dad came to visit!  It's always nice when the parents come to visit.  Not only is family time a good thing, but they bring presents! They packed our pantry and freezer full (we didn't have to buy groceries for a month!) and got us each (including Gromit!) several things from our amazon wishlist.  Christmas in August!  We had a lot of food going on that weekend.  I had been trying a lot of raw recipes recently that I wanted my parents to try, so I made up a bunch of stuff and we kind of sampled everything throughout the weekend.  The first afternoon, we drove up to the top of Mt. Erie, the highest point, and admired the view of the surrounding islands.  We walked around a bit there and then drove over to Coronet Bay where we took a short walk along the cove and sat at a bench and watched the sun set over the bridge.  Nice afternoon.  The next day we went for a walk along the marina in Oak Harbor before heading south to Coupeville for the afternoon.  We checked out some of the historic things before wandering through some shops (including the ice cream shop).   A bit more time at home and then they were on the road again, headed back to Salem.  Thanks for making the trip guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment